According to world statistics, cardiovascular diseases are leaders in mortality and disability among people of mature and old age. And one of the most common problems is hypertension – high blood pressure. Is it possible to find the best pills for high blood pressure so that they help to achieve the cherished values of 125/80?
Blood pressure is one of the basic health indicators, reflecting the work of not only the cardiovascular system, but also the activity of the kidneys, endocrine organs, blood formation and nervous system. Therefore, hypertension is a very general concept, reflecting episodic or persistent increase in pressure. Therefore, there is simply no universal and single cure for pressure. You cannot come to the pharmacy and ask for pressure pills, because a pharmacist will immediately ask you which drug the doctor has prescribed for you, what specific medicine do you need?
The Best Pills for Hypertension: Do They Exist?
Primary, it is considered an independent pathology, in which an increase in pressure is the leading symptom. Often this pathology is called the term hypertension or essential arterial hypertension. It can be mild, moderate and severe, with crises and the threat of serious, fatal complications.
Secondary, when increased pressure is just one of many other symptoms, for example, with diseases of the kidneys, nervous system, thyroid gland, adrenal glands. Accordingly, it is already clear that a single method for the treatment of hypertension does not exist. Therefore, the doctor selects pills for high blood pressure individually, from a huge variety of drugs that are sold in pharmacies today, both without a prescription and strictly according to a doctor’s prescription. Many of the drugs that were used 30 to 50 years ago were already withdrawn from circulation, they are not included in modern treatment protocols due to the risk of side-effects and complications (for example, clonidine or reserpine). Some drugs that actively reduce blood pressure are used only by emergency doctors; they are administered intravenously or intramuscularly with hypertensive crises.
10 Popular Anti-Hypertension Medications
1. Diltiazem. This is a prescription drug, available in capsules and tablets, used in people with serious heart problems on the background of hypertension.
2. Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril). Medication available in the form of tablets, and suspension dispensed only with a doctor’s prescription. It belongs to ACE inhibitor drug class, and is considered antihypertensive medication. Currently, it is prescribed to treat high blood pressure in both adults, and children, as well as to treat heart failure. If you want to learn more about this preparation, look here https://www.immunepharma.com/blood-pressure/lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide.
3. Norvasc (Amlodipine). Pills in different dosages, dispensed strictly according to a doctor’s prescription. Belong to the group of blockers of ‘slow’ calcium channels. Eliminate myocardial ischemia and high blood pressure, relax smooth muscle cells in the vessels.
4. Verospiron. The drug is available in capsules or tablets and belongs to the group of prescription drugs. It is a potassium-sparing diuretic, which means that it does not lead to the loss of the mineral necessary for the work of the heart. Verospiron acts by blocking the hormone aldosterone secreted by the adrenal glands for fluid retention.
5. Indapamide. These tablets are sold on prescription and belong to the group of thiazide diuretics. Indapamide stimulates the excretion of chloride and sodium ions in the urine, which causes excess water to go away. Additionally, it helps to relax blood vessels, reduces the load on the myocardium. Learn more about Indapamide mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/indapamide-oral-route/.
6. Triampur. It is a combined diuretic of two drugs – potassium-sparing and thiazide diuretics. Available in tablets and sold by prescription. It leads to increased excretion of ions in the urine, due to which water is also lost.
7. Zokardis. Tablets in two dosage forms are available on prescription. It reduces pressure by inhibiting the production of the hormone angiotensin, which reduces the release of the antidiuretic hormone aldosterone. The drug reduces the load on the heart, reduces systolic and diastolic pressure, expands arteries without increasing the heart rate.
8. Captopril. Tablets in different dosages are available on prescription. The drug inhibits the secretion of angiotensin, eliminates arterial spasm, reduces the load on the heart and blood vessels, reducing pressure in both the large and small circles.
9. Prestarium. These are prescription pills in various dosages. They help block angiotensin, leading to spasm of the arteries and an increase in the load on the heart, does not affect the frequency of myocardial contractions. Helps in normalizing the condition of coronary heart disease (CHD), improves blood circulation in the brain.
10. Bisoprolol. Tablets in different dosages are prescribed by prescription, belong to the group of selective beta-blockers. They reduce the heart rate, myocardial oxygen demand, reduce the risk of angina pectoris, arrhythmias and lower blood pressure. Due to selectivity, they have little effect on other organs with adreno-receptors.
How to Choose Pills for High Blood Pressure
Firstly, even if you know your diagnosis, you cannot choose drugs. Today, there are 6 classes of drugs against high blood pressure, and they all have a different principle of action and a list of indications and, most importantly, contraindications. If you choose a medicine on the advice of a neighbor, articles on the Internet or just at random, because you heard the name of this medicine, you can not only reduce the pressure, but worsen your condition.
The following groups may be prescribed:
- Beta blockers
- Diuretics (the second name is diuretics)
- Inhibitors of the angiotensin-converting enzyme
- Angiotensin antagonists
- Calcium ant agonists